ADVENTURE 3 OF THE GLOBAL SOJOURNER SERIES

Living & Studying in Antigua, Guatemala.

Initial Impressions

Saturday, January 5, 2013


¡Feliz Año Nuevo! (Happy New Year)

When we departed from our snowy Michigan abode a mere 5 days ago, the butterflies had already built a mansion in my stomach. I had little expectations and many fears.

Reflecting on these nervous moments now I think…Guatever.

Living in Antigua has been a breeze. Every day is a perfect spring day here; 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. The culture is vibrant, the food is delicious, and the people are very kind. Not to mention that the colonial architecture is picturesque. Our host Mama (Marina Moreno) and Papa (Elder Moreno) have welcomed us very graciously into their home. They often say Mi Casa es Tu Casa. I wholeheartedly believe these words so much so that Aaron and I have decided to remain living with the Moreno’s for the entire semester rather than renting our own apartment.

The Spanish lessons at Centro Linguístico La Unión are superb. Aaron and I are both taking elementary Spanish lessons from 8AM to 12PM every Monday through Friday. I can honestly say that I learned more Spanish in 5 days than I learned using Rosetta Stone for 6 months! My maestra (teacher) Marcela is very enthusiastic and a wonderful teacher. I look forward to spending the mornings with her as she laughs at me for saying “Tengo hombre” (I am man) rather than “Tengo hambre” (I am hungry).

It is truly surreal that I began my college journey 3 ½ years ago with no international experience or desire to travel abroad. Here I am now 5 months away from graduation with 3 international experiences under my belt and an intense passion to practice international social work/development. I am grateful to Spring Arbor University for cultivating this desire within me and offering numerous opportunities to explore the world.

I am thankful and grateful to:

  • My Mom & Dad for raising me to value diversity, making college mandatory, and investing in my degree.
  • My sisters for being extra sassy, supportive, and loving.
  • My husband for encouraging me to face my fears and talking me into working in developing nations. 
  • My home church, Metro South Church, for taking me on my first international mission trip.
  • My best friends, Selena & Andrew, for being constant encouragers, listeners, and wonderful friends while I stressed about living abroad.
  • Diane Kurtz, Carol Haavisto, and Jeremy Norwood for sharing their own international adventures, life experiences, advice, and knowledge with a young couple. 
  • The Social Work Class of 2013 and department for equipping with tools and relationships that I will utilize for the remainder of my life. 
  • God! For everything that is and is to come in my life and the world. 


Continue to follow up on my adventures here! Until then, enjoy these photos of Antigua.

Santa Catalina Arch
This distinguishable landmark in Antigua was built in the 17th century. 

Volcán de Agua
This volcano is pictured in numerous photos of Antigua. It is the closest volcano to the city and has been inactive since the 16th century.

El Mercado
Our first journey into the massive main market in Antigua. We only explored a small portion for fear of getting lost and  missing dinner with our host families. 

Gracias por leer! (Thank you for reading)

Have a question? Please ask me in the comment section of this blog post. Thanks for reading! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment