ADVENTURE 3 OF THE GLOBAL SOJOURNER SERIES

Living & Studying in Antigua, Guatemala.

Change

Monday, January 21, 2013

“When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves.”
– Viktor E. Frankl
Culture shock and adjustment takes many different forms, similar to the infamous boggarts in the Harry Potter series (you’ll recall Harry’s took the shape of a dementor). See below for an illustration. Ehem…back onto the subject of change. My culture shock has taken the form of wanting to stay inside to read/watch movies. Having had 2 previous cross cultural experiences, I am no stranger to the major components needed to enjoy learning and living abroad: purposefully engaging with the culture, open mindedness, flexibility (time is not always linear & events are not always planned), and positivity. With these in mind, the transition has been smooth with the exception of future worries.


Why does the future always have to be so daunting? 

Graduate school. Student loans. Jobs. Blah, blah, blah. I have struggled growing up in a culture with so much reliance, albeit obsession, with money. This week, Guatemala has been teaching me about changing myself since I cannot change the situation. I do not know what the future looks like for me and my family, but I can change my attitude: from fear to excitement, from negativity to positivity, and from worry to relaxed. This needed attitude adjustment should draw me out of culture shock and help me become fully immersed in the culture.

Well, tomorrow Haley, Aaron, and I are visiting Asociacion Nuestros Ahijados (http://www.ana.org.gt/) to nail down the specifics of our internships. I am thinking I’ll intern a majority of the time at the infant malnutrition home (Casa Jackson). I am contemplating volunteering a few hours a week at the local microfiancing organization here called Namaste Direct (http://namastedirect.org/). Aaron and I did learn this week that no other SAU students will be in the same homestay as us, but we do get to live with people from ALL over the world. So far we have had roommates from Holland, Quebec, and Australia!

Until next time, meet Antigua!









Have a question? Please ask me in the comment section of this blog post. Thanks for reading! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment