ADVENTURE 3 OF THE GLOBAL SOJOURNER SERIES

Living & Studying in Antigua, Guatemala.

Siestas & Fiestas

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Spanish lessons are no joke. Each day I learn and practice so much Spanish that I am literally exhausted by 2pm. My dear friend, Selena, and I dub this time “the 2 o’clock slump.” I don’t mind building a siesta (afternoon nap) in to my schedule every other day as I know it is rejuvenating for my mind and body. However, we have more than enough time for relaxation and exploration. Check out our daily schedule:

Monday – Friday
7:00am – wake up & get ready for the day
7:30am – eat a delicious breakfast of fresh fruit & orange juice (Aaron usually has crepes or cereal too)
8:00am – walk to La Union & begin lessons
12:00pm – walk back home and have yummy lunch including beans, rice, tortillas, salad, & a meat
12:45pm – 2:00pm – La tarea (homework)
2:00pm – 2:45pm – Siesta
3:00pm – 6:00pm – more homework
6:30pm – Dinner consisting of beans, rice, soup, bread, tortillas, and numerous other dishes
7:00pm – 10:00pm – relax, walk, explore, etc. :)
10:30pm – Nighty night!

Guatemalans also love parties and celebrations. New Years, Birthdays, Independence Day, and Communions are huge celebratory events here. It is thrilling to live a culture with so much life and happiness. Fiestas all the time!
Here are some more pictures to give you a glimpse at what we've been up too besides just studying!

Horseback riding up Volcán de Pacaya.

Conquering my fear of volcanoes by climbing into a sauna-like hole near the top of one.

Meet Pacaya.


Don't mind Aaron pretending to fall off of a 8,373 ft volcano.

Rainbow Cafe. A favorite study place for us.

Mini-market near one of the many colonial churches in Antigua.


Have a question? Please ask me in the comment section of this blog post. Thanks for reading! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment