ADVENTURE 3 OF THE GLOBAL SOJOURNER SERIES

Living & Studying in Antigua, Guatemala.

'Twas the Night Before Departure

Sunday, December 30, 2012

“Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibles, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me… Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
–Shel Silverstein
World history trivia. Maps. National Geographic. These things that may appear boring to an average child, provided endless imaginary playgrounds, adventures, and fairytales for me. A magic carpet ride through the Taj Mahal. A tea party under the Eiffel Tower. A stroll through Machu Picchu.

As high school approached these far off fictional lands became a reality. How could I get to the Great Wall of China? When could I see the pyramids of Egypt?

Soon enough I began applying for college. At this point I was sure of only two college criteria. First, I wanted to stay in Michigan. Second, I wanted to work with diverse cultures. I quickly discovered Spring Arbor University (SAU). This liberal arts university fit both of my criteria and even aligned with my spiritual beliefs. I continued to learn more about SAU and loved the Cross Cultural Studies (CCS) program. CCS is a required study abroad cultural immersion experience. So I applied to SAU and was accepted. My freshmen year at SAU I got a job at the CCS office and my passion for international education has since blossomed.

Here I am 3 years later and embarking on an adventure of a lifetime. I will be spending January – May of 2013 studying in La Antigua, Guatemala. A mere 8 hours separate me from the Land of Eternal Spring and I couldn't be more excited!

Please continue to check back for more updates, photos, and videos. I appreciate all the support and prayers from my family, friends, SAU, the CCS office, and the Gilman scholarship.

For those who worry because you love me, here is mine and Aaron’s flight schedule.

AMERICAN AIRLINES     31DEC DETROIT MI     MIAMI FL       630A    945A
AA 873               MONDAY DETROIT METRO  MIAMI INTL
G ECONOMY                   TERMINAL N
           NON SMOKING      FOOD FOR PURCHASE             NON STOP
                            RESERVATION CONFIRMED         3:10 DURATION
                  AIRCRAFT: BOEING 737-800
                            SEATS 25F/25E/26F NO SMOKING CONFIRMED


AMERICAN AIRLINES     31DEC MIAMI FL       GUATEMALA CITY 1245P   225P
AA 983               MONDAY MIAMI INTL     LA AURORA
L ECONOMY
           NON SMOKING      FOOD FOR PURCHASE             NON STOP
                            RESERVATION CONFIRMED         2:40 DURATION
                  AIRCRAFT: BOEING 737-800
                            SEATS 25A/25B/26A NO SMOKING CONFIRMED

Buenos noches!

Have a question? Please ask me in the comment section of this blog post. Thanks for reading! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment